The King’s Power Over Sin
Does Jesus have power to forgive sin? This was the question the people were asking, especially the religious rulers. They hated Jesus in the first place, and they came at the situation not really looking for the truth, but for something to charge Jesus with. They could have charged Him with speaking the truth. They could have charged Him with love for the people. They could have charged Him with practicing successful medicine without a license. They could have charged Him with many positive things, and been happy that someone such as Jesus had come to their town.We need to realize that sin not only cripples physically, but also emotionally, and spiritually, and these religious leaders were certainly crippled spiritually. They were so weak spiritually that they could only see other’s sins; and not their own. They were blind to the things of God.
SIN IS A CRIPPLER NOT ONLY OF THE BODY BUT OF THE MIND, SPIRIT, AND SOUL.
* The crippled need help in getting to Jesus.
* People with faith bring their friends to Jesus for healing.
FORGIVENESS IS THE GREATEST NEED THAT MANKIND HAS – RECEIVING AND GIVING IT.
* Forgiveness received allows the forgiven one strength and power for serving the Forgiver.
* Forgiveness given allows freedom for the forgiver.
THERE ARE MANY WHO STILL SEE JESUS AS A BLASPHEMER.
* The religious/moralist who believes they can gain God’s favor by their good deeds, thinking that God has a set of scales, and the good will out weigh the bad.
* The religious/moralist/traditionalist who sees others sins, but cannot or will not see their own.
* These call Jesus a blasphemer because they “justify themselves”, thus call Jesus a liar and blasphemer.
THE POWER AND AUTHORITY OF JESUS CAN STAND UP TO THEIR FICTITIOUS ACCUSATIONS, AND HE HEALS, AND FORGIVES.
* Jesus has the power to forgive sin, and He is the God-Man, the Son of God, and God incarnate.
* Jesus forgives the man’s sin, then, shows He has the power to do so and heals the man’s infirmity.
* Jesus tells the once crippled man to take up his bed and walk home carrying his bed with him.
BECAUSE OF THE MIGHTY WORKS OF JESUS THE MULTITUDES GLORIFIED GOD.
* When a work is genuinely from God no man is glorified, only God.
* It is a glorious thing that this power has been given to man – the power to glorify God.
-Tim A. Blankenship