He Took Our Infirmities
JESUS TOUCHED THE UNCLEAN LEPER (vv. 1-4).
* Leprosy is a picture of sin
+ “ It is deeper than the skin (Lev. 13:3), it spreads (Lev. 13:8), it defiles and isolates (Lev. 13:45-46), it is worthy only of fire (Lev. 13:52, 57)”. FROM THE BIBLE EXPOSITION COMMENTARY by Warren W. Wiersbe.
+ None are left untouched by sin.
* This man has been greatly humbled, and is submissive to the sovereignty and power of Jesus, as he says, “If Thou wilt, Thou canst make me clean”.
* Jesus touched the unclean, took his uncleanness, and gave to him health.
A ROMAN SOLDIER PRAYS IN BEHALF OF A SERVANT OF HIS HOUSEHOLD (vv. 5-13)
* This was a gentile Roman soldier who was hated among the people of Jesus’s birth.
+ The very hour Jesus spoke healing the slave/servant was healed.
+ In this instance it was according to this man’s faith.
* We do know that due to this man’s faith his servant/slave was healed that same hour.
* Just like the Roman soldier we can call on Jesus to come and heal despite our racial, or gender status.
JESUS TOUCHED THE HAND OF PETER’S MOTHER-IN-LAW, AND RAISED HER TO HEALTH (vv. 14-15).
* Women held no honored position in Jewish society.
* For this woman to be in bed meant that she had more than just a stomach ache which so easily puts some people in bed today.
+ A belly ache was nothing, she would have kept on working, unless it was practically deadly.
* Jesus’s touch was a very special touch.
+ It was as if He were saying, “My people have been sick but I have come to take away their sicknesses, and diseases – particularly their ailment to sin.
COULD JESUS BE MAKING THE STATEMENT IN THESE TOUCHES, “I AM YOUR KING AND GREAT PHYSICIAN; I HAVE COME TO PAY THE PRICE FOR YOUR SINS.”? (vv. 16-17).
* “Surely He hath borne our griefs, and carried our sorrows: yet we did esteem Him stricken, smitten of God, and afflicted”. Isaiah 53:4.
* Jesus delivers people from their sicknesses and demon possession.
+ People are oppressed by sickness due to the original sin in the garden.
+ People are possessed by demons due to their personal actions and invitation to evil in their lives.
* The death, burial and resurrection of Jesus is the way to victory over sin, its sicknesses, and its evil in our lives.
-Tim A. Blankenship