“I made me great works; I builded me houses; I planted me vineyards: I made me gardens and orchards, and I planted trees in them of all kind of fruits: I made me pools of water, to water therewith the wood that bringeth forth trees: I got me servants and maidens, and had servants born in my house; also I had great possessions of great and small cattle above all that were in Jerusalem before me: I gathered me also silver and gold, and the peculiar treasure of kings and of the provinces: I gat me men singers and women singers, and the delights of the sons of men, as musical instruments, and that of all sorts. So I was great, and increased more than all that were before me in Jerusalem: also my wisdom remained with me. And whatsoever mine eyes desired I kept not from them, I withheld not my heart from any joy; for my heart rejoiced in all my labour: and this was my portion of all my labour. Then I looked on all the works that my hands had wrought, and on the labour that I had laboured to do: and, behold, all was vanity and vexation of spirit, and there was no profit under the sun.” Ecclesiastes 2:4-11 (KJV)
Just a quick commentary here.
Solomon, considered to be the wisest of men of the earth. Called the wisest of men by God’s own word found out what was really important. He had great wealth. His worth was most likely beyond that of Gates or the Waltons. However, he looked for the meaning to life in things, and found only vanity and vexation of spirit (emptiness).
When we go through life looking for its meaning and purpose through getting knowledge, wisdom or things; when our lives draw near their end we will still be searching and empty. There is only fulfillment in life when we realize that it is found in the life, death, burial and bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ. When we see Him as the Son of God, and God the Son sent to be the payment for our own sins, and the sins of the world, then, will there be fulfillment, peace, and joy. With that comes eternal life.
Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will find your life, and the IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE.
Love of the Brethren
We are taught in Scripture to love our brothers and sisters. it is sad when you see families, brothers and sisters, parents and children at odds with one another; and in the case we look at today; even hating a brother to the point of wanting him dead.
1. The Father Has a Special Son (vv. 1-4).
2. The Son Has a Special Heart for the Things of God (vv. 5-11).
3. The Son’s Heart for His Father and for His Brothers (vv. 12-17).
4. The Sale of the Beloved Son/Brother to the World (vv. 18-28).
5. Seeing the Sovereign Hand of God Through Tragedy (vv. 29-36; Psalm 76:10; Romans 8:28).
Preached Sunday morning at Shiloah Baptist Church July 27, 2014.
I am making an early reappearance to blogging here on “Broken Pieces”. It has been about six months since I posted anything here, and I really believe it is time to come back to it. I had intended on staying out through the month of December, but it is time to return.
My prayer is that the things which I post will first of all glorify my Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ, the Son of God and God the Son. Secondly that those reading these posts will be drawn nearer the Lord as a Christian; and if you are without God in your life come to realize that God loves you so much that He sent His only begotten Son that if you will believe in Him you will not perish, but have everlasting life.
For the glory of Christ our Lord
The Faith of Sacrifice
1. The Person of the Sacrifice and the Sacrificial Offering (vv. 1-2).
2. The Place of the Sacrifice (vv. 3-4).
3. The Pertinence of the Sacrifice (vv. 5-8).
This was a journey only the father and son could do together.
This was a journey only God the Father, and Jesus God the Son could do together.
4. The Power of Sin and the Necessary Sacrifice (vv. 9-14).
5. The Promise of the Sacrifice (vv. 15-19).
Preached in the Evening Worship @ Shiloah Baptist Church July 20, 2014
Genesis 15:1-6 (6; Romans 4:3; Galations 3:6)
1. Bringing Our Grievances to a Faithful Creator, Saviour and Friend (vv. 1-2).
A. God as our faithful Provider, Protector, and Reward.
B. Still asking questions?
2. Going Beyond What We May Have (vv. 3-4).
A. God goes beyond what we have and see.
B. God promises what seems impossible.
3. Reminded of God’s Greatness, and His Power (v. 5).
A. Look to the One who made the stars; can you number them?
B. The astronomical promise – more than stars.
4. Counted Righteous Through Faith – the Gift of God (v. 6).
A. Faith: a gift, and an act (Eph. 2:8).
B. Called righteous by God Himself (Rom. 5:1).
C. The cross of Jesus Christ is the work of God by which He declares the unworthy “Righteous”.
Preached in Morning Worship @ Shiloah Baptist Church July 20, 1014
Sermon Points –
Invitation and Redemption
Genesis 7:1-24: 8:1, 20-22; 9:8-17
1. The Invitation is To Come Into the Ark of Safety (7:1).
2. God Remembers His Promises to Those to Whom He Gives Them (8:1-5).
3. Recognizing God’s Grace, Deliverance and Redemption (8:20-22).
4. Unconditional Promise (9:8-17).
Preached in the evening service @ Shiloah Baptist July 13, 2014
Sermon Points –
When Evil Covers the Earth
1. Evil Grieves the Heart of God (vv. 1-6).
Jude 6; Matthew 24:37-38
2. God Does Not Tolerate Evil; But He Does Give Grace (vv. 7-8).
Ezekiel 18:23, 32
3. Even In the Midst of Evil There Is Promise and Hope (vv. 9-21).
4. Obedience in God’s Grace Is Pleasing to God (v. 22).
Preached Sunday morning July 13, 2014
Sermon Points –
The Fall of the Crown
Genesis 2:8-9, 17; 3:1-24
1. Trees In the Garden (2:8-9, 17).
2. Examination of the Wrong Tree, and Its Temptation (3:1-5).
3. The Fall of the Crown of God’s Creation (vv. 6-7).
4. God’s Visitation in the Garden – Adam’s Last Day in Eden (vv. 8-19).
5. God’s Provision for Adam and Eve (vv. 20-24).
Sermon Points –
In the Beginning
Genesis 1:1-5, 26-31
1. The Bible Never Sets Out to Prove the Existence of God – It Assumes the Existence of God (v. 1).
2. God is the Creator of Heaven and Earth – All Things (v. 1).
3. The Earth Was the Foundation Upon Which God Made the Things on Earth (v. 2).
4. God Spoke Light Into Existence – This Was the First Day, and It Was Good (v. 3-5).
5. On the Sixth Day God Made Man In His Own Image To Have Dominion Upon the Earth (vv. 26-31