Sinners Follow The King
When an individual joins a branch of military service in the United States, they are practically owned by the government, and are at the beckoned call of the military brass where they serve. If a troop is ordered to jump; they jump. If they are ordered to sleep; they sleep. They are also supplied with all their necessities for life and living. They are provided a uniform, a weapon, their meals, their shelter and their health care.
When Jesus comes and calls us to follow Him we forsake all and follow Him. That is exactly what Matthew did, realizing Here was a man who was interested in him, cared for him and could meet his every need.
THE KING EXTENDS AN INVITATION TO A DESPISED TAX COLLECTOR TO FOLLOW HIM (v. 9).
* Tax collectors were a despised group of people in Jesus’s day, and they were considered as traitors to the Jewish people.
* Jesus seeks those who are forsaken, broken, despised, and rejected by the self-righteous, elite and “powerful”.
THE INVITATION IS ACCEPTED AND INVITES JESUS AND SOME FRIENDS TO HIS HOME (vv. 9b-10).
* Matthew is interested in seeing many of his friends follow Jesus as well, and has them come to his home to meet the one who shows him acceptance.
* When we have come to Jesus it is the desire of the heart to tell others about this great, wonderful, powerful Lord, Savior, and King who calls the despised to Himself.
THE JUDGMENTAL PHARISEES CONDEMN SINNERS AND JESUS FOR HAVING ANY PART WITH THEM (v. 11).
* The self-righteous find no joy in Jesus, or His mercy and grace, their greatest joy is in themselves and their supposed righteous life they live.
* The one’s who will come to Jesus must come denying all their own righteousness, and receiving only the righteousness that Jesus gives.
ONLY THOSE WHO SEE THEMSELVES AS SINNERS ARE ABLE TO RECEIVE THE DIAGNOSIS AND THE HEALING FROM THE GREAT PHYSICIAN (vv. 12-13).
* As long as a person sees themselves with no need for healing they will not seek the aid of a physician, and such was and is the case of the self-righteous.
* Jesus alone can give healing, renewing and salvation for the sickness of sin, which is in every one of us.
* Hear the Great Physician as He calls you by name, and follow Him.
-Tim A. Blankenship