The Faith Of God Gloried
Motherhood has almost been cheapened by immoral practices such as pre-marital sex, sodomite practices, and by some cases of invitro-fertilization. How has it been cheapened by these things? In that anybody can have a baby.
No matter what goes on in our world true motherhood is still God’s blessed event, and action. Mothers who know and trust their Creator are a special blessing to the world, whether the world wants to recognize that or not. In this message I want us to look at a mother who saw something special in her son that had been born in troublous times. Times where the boys were thrown into the river and drowned. This mother hid her son, and would not give him up.
I. MOTHERS SEE SPECIAL AND UNIQUE QUALITIES IN THEIR CHILDREN (v. 2).
A. God had a special plan for Moses, and He does for all of us.
1. Moses was born shortly after Pharoah’s decree of death for new born males – ” And he said, When ye do the office of a midwife to the Hebrew women, and see them upon the stools; if it be a son, then ye shall kill him: but if it be a daughter, then she shall live” Exodus 1:16.
2. Upon his birth his life was in jeopardy of death.
B. Jochebed believed God and followed God’s plan for her own life.
1. She hid Moses and kept him from death at the hand of the evil law of Pharoah.
2. She heard God and obeyed.
a. Of course Amram, Moses’ father had a part, but it seems from the Exodus account that mother instigated the plan and carried it through.
b. The family was all a part – we can tell later, because of Miriam’s part.
II. MOTHERS WHO TRUST THEIR CHILDREN TO GOD’S CARE ARE BLESSED (vv. 3-8).
A. Making plans – laying out a course of action for things to work out right.
1. Preparing an “ark” of safety;
2. On the edge, not in the current where he would have been carried down stream to only God knows where.
a. The reeds or “flags” would have slowed the movement – providing a braking action for the ‘ark’.
b. Miriam standing by keeping watch over her brother.
3. Trusting that God would use the Pharoah’s daughter to save the life of her son.
a. She must have been praying for Pharoah’s daughter to have a loving mother’s heart.
b. Trusting that God had a plan for her child.
B. Can man’s plans and God’s plans work in accord?
1. If man’s heart is aligned with God’s Word, God’s Spirit, His heart and mind, God’s way, then, YES!
2. That is God’s way of working in His people.
III. BY GOD’S GRACE AND PROVISION A CHILD IS BROUGHT BACK (v. 9).
A. Children are being slaughtered every day.
1. Not all children have a godly mother.
2. Many many unborn children lose their lives everyday because of choices of unthinking, uncaring, troubled, women, doctors and slaughterhouses.
a. We ought to be praying for them to have a change of heart and attitude, and close the doors of these houses of murder.
b. They too are people in need of God’s salvation through Jesus Christ.
B. There are some used by God who are used by God to be mothers.
1. Nursing, and feeding the child;
3. Teaching and training.
C. Often, when we give our children to God and his providential care He gives them back.
1. Mothers are blessed;
2. Families are blessed;
3. Nations are blessed;
4. Churches are blessed.
D. The preschood years are the most influential and important years in the child’s life.
1. They are growing through their mother’s care.
2. They are learning through their mother’s teaching example.
IV. GOD IS GLORIED THROUGH THE DEDICATED MOTHER’S FAITH (v. 10).
A. YaHWeH Gloried is the meaning of the name Jochebed.
1. Moses delivered Israel from Egypt by God’s power.
2. Israel brought Jesus into the world through Mary, for the salvation/deliverance of mankind.
B. Jesus is the Savior of the world.
1. Is it any wonder “YaHWeH Gloried”
2. God is gloried by faith.
I. WE ALL SHOULD SEE EVERY PERSON AS UNIQUE AND SPECIAL – EVERY PERSON IS MADE IN THE PATTERN OF ADAM AND EVE – IN GOD’S IMAGE.
II. TRUSTING OTHERS – ESPECIALLY OUR OWN CHILDREN – TO GOD’S CARE HAS MANY BLESSINGS.
III. BY GOD’S GRACE AND PROVIDENCE ANYONE CAN BE BROUGHT TO GOD.
IV. WITHOUT FAITH NO ONE CAN PLEASE GOD (Heb. 11:6).
-Tim A. Blankenship