The LORD’s One Table
1 Corinthians 10:14-22
We hear the word today that Christians should be more tolerant of other “Faiths” which are other religions; “After all”, they say, “We are all going to the same place”. Is this a true or a false statement? If we believe God’s Word to be true the statement must be seen as being false. All ‘faiths’ and religions do not lead to the same place.
Any religion that is man-made, man enabled and man edifying is not of God. It will lead to Hell and eternal destruction, not eternal life. All man-made religion is idolatry, and idolatry is what we are looking at when we see many ways to God and heaven. Paul tells us, “…the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice to devils, and not to God.” (v. 20).
I. FLEE FROM IDOLATRY – WHICH IS ANYTHING THAT IS WORSHIPPED OTHER THAN GOD (v. 14).
II. WE ARE ONE IN CHRIST THROUGH HIS SHED BLOOD, AND BROKEN BODY (vv. 15-18).
III. THERE IS NO POWER IN AN IDOL – EXCEPT THAT IMAGINED BY ITS WORSHIPPER (vv. 19-20).
IV. THE LORD’S ONE TABLE – THERE IS NO OTHER (vv. 21-22).
I. FLEE FROM IDOLATRY – WHICH IS ANYTHING THAT IS IN THE PLACE OF GOD – BEFORE OR AFTER (v. 14)
A. “Thou shalt have no other gods before me” (EX. 20:3).
1. And He does not mean you can have some after Him; “After you have worshipped Him on the Lord’s day, then you are free to worship whomever or whatever you please”.
2. All praise, all glory is to be ascribed to the One who created all things.
B. No angel, no human being, no thing of any kind is to ever, at any time to be held in place of honor, worship and praise over God, or under Him.
C. The previous verses show us the peril of idolatry in the heart of believers.
1. Twenty three thousand died as a result of the corporate worship with the Moabites (v. 7; NUM. 25).
2. The “…eat and drink, and rose up to play…” comes from verse seven of our text’s chapter and Exodus 32:6 .
D. We all are to FLEE FROM IDOLATRY, and hang onto Christ.
II. THROUGH THE SHED BLOOD OF JESUS AND HIS BROKEN BODY WE ARE ONE (vv. 15-18).
A. The shedding of the blood is the taking of life – unlike a little bleeding this means all the blood was shed for the remission/forgiveness of our sins.
1. We are united to Christ and with Christ by His blood shed on the cross.
a. “Communion” is much more than just united it is also – it is from the Greek, G2842
From G2844; partnership, that is, (literally) participation, or (social) intercourse, or (pecuniary) benefaction: – (to) communicate (-ation), communion, (contri-), distribution, fellowship.”
b. It is the word used for ‘Fellowship’ as well.
2. Fellowship was something we never had with God until the blood shed of Jesus on the cross.
B. The broken body was broken by pain and suffering, though no bone in His body was broken, just as the Scriptures had said.
1. We are in the ‘Body of Christ’; the unbroken body of Christ.
2. We are all partakers of the “one Bread”
C. Just as the people of were partakers of the sacrificial altar, so too, are we the “One bread” of Jesus’s body.
III. THE IMAGINARY POWER OF THE WORSHIPPED IMAGE (vv. 19-20).
A. The idol is nothing except that that is given by the people who hold it dear.
1. Some people hold numbers in their lives to be dear and powerful, thinking by using them they could obtain great wealth or fame.
2. Some pray to images of “saint”, and angels, and this is nothing, but mere superstition, and idol worshipping.
B. These worshippers are thoroughly deceived, will not have peace, and are actually worshipping demons.
1. To which Paul says, “That the things which the Gentiles sacrifice, they sacrifice ot devils [demons], and not to God: and I would not that ye should have fellowship with devils.” (v. 20).
2. Having just shared with us of having fellowship with God through the blood and body of Christ, he gives warning of fellowshiping with demons.
IV. THERE IS ONE TABLE – THE LORD’S ONE TABLE (vv. 21-22).
A. There are two things very noticable here; 1) You cannot drink the cup of the Lord, and the cup of devils; 2) You cannot be a partaker of the Lord’s table and the table of the devils.
1. You must be either all for the Lord, or all against Him.
a. The challenge has been given endlessly; from Joshua we hear, “Choose you this day whom ye will serve…” Joshua 24:15; Elijah cried, “How long halt ye between two opinions? If the LORD be God, follow Him: but if Baal, then follow him.” 1 Kings 18:21; and Jesus said many times even till the end of Scriptures and time; “Come, follow Me”.
2. Jesus said, “He that is not with Me is against Me; and he that gathereth not with Me scattereth abroad.” Matthew 12:30; also Luke 11:23.
B. The One Table of the Lord is the table where all the true saints of God will be gathered and we will behold the broken, scarred hands of our Savior break the bread, and we shall know Him by the breaking of that bread.
C. To partake of another table will be to provoke our Lord to jealousy – that is rebellion – that is what we cannot do.
I. WE LIVE IN AN IDOLATROUS LAND WITH PEOPLE GOING TO TEMPLES AND ALTARS AT THEIR WHIM AND PLEASURE FOR THE SAKE OF THE KIDS – WE MUST FLEE FROM IT.
II. THE BLOOD OF JESUS CHRIST MAKES US ONE BODY IN HIM AND IT IS UNBROKEN, JUST AS THE SCRIPTURES HAVE SAID.
III. WE SHOULD NOT CORPORATELY WORSHIP WITH THOSE WHO DO NOT WORSHIP JESUS CHRIST THE ONLY SACRIFICE AND THE ONLY TABLE OFFERED TO US.
IV. THE LORD’S ONE TABLE IS ONLY FOR THOSE WHO KNOW JESUS – AT THIS ONE TABLE WE DO NOT PROVOKE THE LORD TO JEALOUSY, BUT WE INVOKE PRAISE.
-Tim A. Blankenship